In De Copia, Erasmus re-writes the same sentence over and over to demonstrate the variety of language.
You will be assigned a sentence to re-write 25–30 times.
Here is one example:
30 variations of “A loud sound awakes me in the night”
- In the bewitching hour, a resonant buzz raises me out of my crib.
- A noisy growl returns me to my consciousness in the dead of night.
- After dark, I am wide-awake because of a powerful bang.
- I can no longer sleep due to the harsh noise in the darkness of the day.
- I rise out of bed because of a deafening noise in the nighttime.
- At the time when the moon is out high and bright, I become conscious due to a resonant sound.
- A crazy roaring awakes me in the darkness of the day.
- In the night, a blaring sound wakes me up.
- The god of sleep has abandoned me when a loud noise strikes out in the night.
- In the dark hours, a big wave of sound had me awakened.
- I am awakened by the vociferous noise after dark.
- I am forced to end my body resting process at bedtime due to a powerful boom after dark.
- An extremely harsh buzz forces me out of my dream at the bewitching hour.
- I am left alone by the god of dreams and nightmares when a noisy sound bothers my ears.
- In the night, a loud sound wakes me up.
- After dark, I rise out of my crib because of an annoying wailing.
- I wake up because of a heavy bang in the dark hours.
- I become conscious due to a resonant sound in the dark time of the day.
- After dark, an intense buzz forces me out of my body’s resting process.
- I am awakened by the thundering sound when the sun had rested a long time ago.
- A powerful boom makes me rise out of my sleepiness in the pitch black.
- A heavy cry awakes me in the dead of night.
- A deafening noise in the nighttime has me rise out of bed.
- An unpleasant sound has awakened me after dark.
- At a bewitching hour, a blaring noise wakes me up.
- My dream ends abruptly because of a noisy growl in the pitch-black time of the day.
- In the night, I come to my conscious due to the blaring noise.
- When the moon shines bright and high, I am forced out of my dream because of a thundering sound.
- My sleep is ended when I hear a loud noise after dark.
- In the night, a resonant howl awakes me.