14. What makes ionic bonds different from covalent bonds?
15. Why are hydrogen bonds and van der Waals interactions necessary for cells?
16. While we have discussed acidity within the internal fluids of organisms, a significant impact of acidity on the planet comes from artificial acidification of fish habitats from industrial emissions of sulfur and nitrogen compounds, causing fish to die off. Speculate how these emissions, which are discharged into the air, get into ponds and lakes where the fish live.
17. Why can some insects walk on water?
18. What property of carbon makes it essential for organic life?
19. American diets commonly include both saturated and unsaturated triglycerides. Make an educated guess as to what food items in your own diet are the greatest sources of each of these.