Before beginning this chapter, it is important to recognize which skills and tasks you will be expected to learn to perform. Do you already have some previous skills or knowledge in these areas that you can use to your advantage? Are there any topics that you foresee being difficult? If so, it is a good idea to pursue additional assistance to get ahead of any potential issues. You are the master of your education—you have the power to take ownership of your learning!
In this chapter, I will:
- Recall vocabulary related to health and the human body.
- Express my symptoms in the event of needing medical attention in Spanish.
- Discuss my daily routine.
- Distinguish between scenarios that require the use of a reflexive pronoun and those that do not.
- Discuss my favorite hobbies and sports.
- Recall expressions that use the verb tener.
- Articulate my responsibilities and obligations in contrast to that which I would like to do instead.
- Discuss cultural, geographical, and historical facts about Argentina.
Welcome to Chapter 6, “La salud y los deportes.” In this chapter, you will learn vocabulary about the human body, illnesses, and symptoms. With the use of reflexive verbs, you will be able to express what you do to get ready in the morning, show changes in emotion, and express how you feel in different situations. Then, you will learn how to use tener, tener que + infinitive to express when you do certain activities. Afterward, you will learn about sports and hobbies. You will talk with classmates about what activities you have in common. As always, you will build vocabulary and grammar skills to help you express yourself and understand what others say.
Illnesses and symptoms
Useful phrases at the doctor’s office
Sports and leisure activities
Present indicative of reflexive verbs
Expressions with verb tener