When completing this chapter, the learner will be able to do the following:
- Identify the anatomy of the endocrine system
- Describe the main functions of the endocrine system
- Spell the medical terms of the endocrine system and use correct abbreviations
- Pronounce the medical terms of the endocrine system and use correct abbreviations
- Identify the medical specialties associated with the endocrine system
- Explore common diseases, disorders, and procedures related to the endocrine system
You may never have thought of it this way, but when you send a text message to two friends to meet you at the dining hall at six, you’re sending digital signals that (you hope) will affect their behavior—even though they are some distance away. Similarly, certain cells send chemical signals to other cells in the body that influence their behavior. This long-distance intercellular communication, coordination, and control is critical to maintain equilibrium (homeostasis). This intercellular activity is the fundamental function of the endocrine system.
Watch This Video:
Media 6.1. Endocrine System, Part 1—Glands & Hormones: Crash Course A&P #23 [Online video]. Copyright 2015 by CrashCourse.